Hats. Specifically, what I'm calling Dammit Hats, because I'm knitting them for people who have cancer, DAMMIT. While I'm glad to be able to make something that might help them feel better as they go through chemo, I'm sad and mad that they are going through this. Cancer sucks.
This is my Dammit Hat for Ruth:
Pattern is Jen's New Sweetie Pie hat, yarn is Madelinetosh Vintage, colorway is Baroque Violet.
I was lucky enough to have a couple of good yarn options in my stash to make this hat - I like to go shopping there first for projects. That isn't always possible; my next Dammit Hat is for a man, and my manly stash color options were pretty sparse, so I ordered this beautiful skein:
Madelinetosh DK yarn, colorway is Worn Denim.
I'm making good progress on this hat - it's a lot of 1x1 ribbing after the cool 4x4 ribbing on the wide brim, but I felt that it was a safe choice considering I had no idea what his head measurement is - ribbing has a lot of give, so it works well in these circumstances:
Looks rather strange right now, but I promise, this will take on more of a familiar hat shape soon.
Creativity with friends, part two: About a month ago, fresh off our Painting with a Twist success, CC, Loretta, and I decided to try out U Paint It, which is a paint your own pottery studio. I thought this would be easier than the canvas painting, but it was much more challenging at the start, because we had to not only decide what piece to paint (they have everything from small magnets to large platters), but also what colors and design to do as well. We were all stumped for quite a while! I went in knowing I wanted to paint a couple of cat food dishes, and they had some that were the size I was thinking of, but what to do, what to do with them?? I saw a different piece with polka dots on it - really perfect polka dots, at that. I asked the girl who was helping us how they managed to do that, and she showed me their secret: stickers! You put the stickers on your piece first, then paint over them, then remove them and after the piece is glazed, it looks pretty cool:
Perfect polka dots!
CC took the longest time to get started - she used painter's tape to create vertical lines on a coffee mug, which she then painted. Her precision and attention to detail paid off - we all loved how it turned out, and I threatened to steal it when we went back a week later to pick up our newly glazed and fired pieces, but she beat me to the shop, dang it.
Start to finish with our pottery adventure!
It was really neat to see how vibrant our pieces were once they were glazed and fired. This was a fun experience, and I can't wait to go back - but in the meantime, I've been looking at Pinterest for painting ideas, as I don't seem to be able to come up with many on my own.
OK, I think I'm caught up now - have a great Monday!